A commenter on my other blog at ScientificBlogging (basically a subset of posts from this one) seems to have objected to the claim that evolutionary science makes predictions.
gimme 5 examples of predictions, i mean real predictions: not fit the model hogwash
Here’s a list that I put together in around 10 minutes.
1) That a transitional fossil linking fishes and tetrapods would be found in rocks of a specific age (from the Devonian) and formed in freshwater environments. CONFIRMED.
2) That human chromosome 2 would show clear signs of fusion of two chromosomes that are separate in other apes when examined at the level of DNA sequence. CONFIRMED.
3) That genes for producing features thought to have existed in ancestors but absent in descendants will still be found when genomes are examined in detail or even through atavism. CONFIRMED (see also the paper mentioned in the original post).
4) That proteins in the bacterial flagellum will turn out to be similar to proteins with other functions. CONFIRMED.
And a classic…
5) Darwin predicted that the evidence would show that humans evolved in Africa based on similarities to other apes. CONFIRMED.
Others have put together some decent videos about this as well.
Want to share your own favourite examples?