Along with about 1,000-1,500 other scientists, graduate students, professors, and science supporters, I was in attendance at the “Death of Evidence” rally on Parliament Hill in Ottawa today. I can’t remember any example, ever, in which scientists got together to protest the actions of a government in this way. That has got to tell you something about just how bad things are getting for Canadian research now.
NO SCIENCE. NO EVIDENCE. NO TRUTH. NO DEMOCRACY.
Here are some photos (you will undoubtedly see more professional coverage on the major news channels tonight).
Finally, some links to news reports that have already showed up:
- Scientists rally on Parliament Hill to mourn ‘death of evidence’ (CBC)
- Scientists march on Parliament Hill to protest ‘death of evidence’ (CTV)
- Scientists march to Parliament Hill to protest ‘death of evidence’ (Global News)
- Scientists take aim at Harper cuts with ‘death of evidence’ protest on Parliament Hill (Globe and Mail)
- Scientists unite to protest ‘death’ of research (Ottawa Citizen)
- Canada’s PM Stephen Harper faces revolt by scientists (The Guardian)
- Scientists march on Canadian parliament (Nature News)
Larry Moran has a summary of the day’s event as well.