Creation Ministries International (formerly Answers in Genesis) has an interesting list of “Arguments we think creationists should not use“. Of course, anti-evolutionists regularly engage in less than honest tactics, including quote-mining, propaganda, and outright distortions, but in this case I applaud their candor. Here are some of the notable arguments listed, many of which you have undoubtedly heard many times — next time, just point out that even one of the leading creationist groups recognizes that these are not valid. (Obviously, the spin provided on these differs from what scientists think — see the original list for their explanations).
Which arguments should definitely not be used?
- Darwin recanted on his deathbed.
- Moon-dust thickness proves a young moon.
- NASA computers, in calculating the positions of planets, found a missing day and 40 minutes, proving Joshuaâ€™s â€œlong dayâ€ and Hezekiahâ€™s sundial movement of Joshua 10 and 2 Kings 20.
- The Japanese trawler Zuiyo Maru caught a dead plesiosaur near New Zealand.
- If we evolved from apes, why are there still apes today?
- Women have one more rib than men.
- Archaeopteryx is a fraud.
- There are no beneficial mutations.
- No new species have been produced.
- Paluxy tracks prove that humans and dinosaurs co-existed.
- Darwinâ€™s quote about the absurdity of eye evolution from Origin of Species.
- Light was created in transit.
What arguments are doubtful, hence inadvisable to use?
- Natural selection as tautology.
- Evolution is just a theory.
- There is amazing modern scientific insight in the Bible.
- The speed of light has decreased over time.
- There are no transitional forms.
- Creationists believe in microevolution but not macroevolution.